Choosing to manage your own retirement savings brings with it significant benefits and responsibilities.
What is a Self Managed Super Fund?
A Self Managed Super Fund (SMSF) is a type of superannuation fund often favored for its flexibility provided for its members. These funds allow the members (also the trustees of the fund) to control how the fund operates and what investments are undertaken for retirement.
Due in some part to this flexibility, there are strict guidelines and laws applying to the setup and operation of these funds which can make it difficult to navigate on your own without professional help.
What are the benefits?
Control & Investment Choice
Do you want maximum control over your superannuation assets? Provided it meets the sole purpose test, you can invest in:
- Property (Commercial or Residential)
- Any Other Assets that suit the investment objectives of the fund
Buying Property in a SMSF
Depending on your situation you may be eligible to purchase residential or commercial property using your SMSF. This can be an advantage for those who wish to benefit from the continued growth and returns of the property market.
Borrow Funds to Invest
Opportunities also exist for your SMSF to borrow funds to invest. Whilst gearing must be carefully considered by a qualified financial advisor, it can be an effective tool to help accelerate wealth creation.
Investing in a SMSF has significant tax advantages. For some, that can maximise your tax savings. In general these can include concessional tax rates, franking credits and the offsetting of capital losses.
Need help with your existing SMSF?
If you already operate your own SMSF, we can assist with:
- Reviewing your fund’s investment strategy for compliance with legislation
- Reviewing the composition of your fund’s assets for related party or in-house issues
- Determining the most appropriate method for allocating fund assets between members
- Preparing pension strategies and reviewing pension types allowed by the Trust Deed
- Harmonizing your estate plan with your SMSF
- Simplified SMSF administration
Videos on SMSF’s